Saturday, January 16, 2010

How would I get started on a joystick controlled servo?

Hi, I would like to make an electric tripod, controlled by a joystick, with an X and Y axis. And be able to control the X and Y at the same time, so I could move at a diagonal. This is to control the view of a video camera. Would I use stepper motors or servos or what. Also if the cameras weight is forward, how do I prevent it from turning the motor by gravity? Thanks, Any tips would help. -TimHow would I get started on a joystick controlled servo?
Regardless of your configuration, to keep the motors from moving via gravity, you will need to apply a holding current to the motors between moves.





Stepper motor can work, I would just buy an off-the-shelf multi-axis stepper motor controller, then build a small micro-processor-driven joystick to send commands to the controller.





Servos will work too, but maybe not as cheap as steppers.How would I get started on a joystick controlled servo?
I think Raymond nailed it precisely.





Just to clear one thing, Servos will be lot precise then Stepper motors, so if you need precise control, servos will be better way to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment